What I liked
On 19 November, I had a sudden classic allergic reaction, possibly to an antibiotic. As a Lewes resident I was taken to the minor injuries unit about 17:30 only to find it was closed due to staff illness. I was feeling very unwell and simply stood there trying to decide what to do when a staff member (possibly a cleaner) saw me, and asked if I was in pain. I explained, they asked me to sit down and went on the wards to find nursing staff. A Theatre nurse came, quickly assessed me and organised oxygen for me. One of their colleagues monitored my other responses and between them I was stabilised enough to get to Haywards Heath A&E where I was successfully treated that evening.
I am most grateful to the staff for this emergency care, and particularly for the person I met first. They may not have had formal medical training, and it is probably too dramatic to say that their response saved my life, but it could not have been more helpful. I hope it will be possible to find and thank these three staff members for me.
I will also write a letter to the hospital directly but wanted website readers to know about the excellent level of care I received.
What could be improved
Nothing, given the enforced closure of the unit.
Nothing, given the circumstances
"On 19 November, I had a sudden ..."
About: Lewes Victoria Hospital Lewes Victoria Hospital Lewes BN7 1PE
Posted via nhs.uk