"Lack of Disabled Parking"

About: Royal Sussex County Hospital

(as the patient),

Parking at Princess Royal and at Royal Sussex County Hospitals cause me great difficulty. The knock-on effect adds to the financial burden by my needing hospital transport to enable me to attend appointments. This is because I am an permanent wheelchair user and and also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, limiting my wheelchair mobility. I am unable to park at either hospital and access the main building independently. Despite having made numerous enquiries, I fail to get anyone who understands my preference of retaining my independence and to be able to attend hospital on my own and without difficulty. Something should be done to make access to health care possible to ensure that the Hospital Trusts conform to the Disability Equality Duties placed on them.

I look forward to your response on this issue.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Care Opinion 16 years ago
Submitted on 21/08/2007 at 12:25

Patient Opinion was sorry to hear of your difficulties in relation to disabled parking and certainly would support your statements on the importance of retaining independence. Each Hospital Trust does of course have obligations to demonstrate that they are responding to the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. There are three suggestions as to how to take this forward. 1. If you have not already done so, contact the PALS team at the Hospital. The PALS service as part of what it does should receive feedback from patients and forward it so that the patient voice is heard. In this case this might be whichever department or planning group has responsibilities both in relation to car parking and to the requirements of the DDA. PALS can be contacted at PALS@bsuh.nhs.uk 2. Write formally to the Trust quoting the Freedom of Information act and enquire about their response the requirements of the DDA either generally or in particular regard to car parking. 3. Take this issue up with an outside body who campaigns on Disability Rights such as the Commission for Equality and Human Rights . 4. Another useful contact is the UK Disabled Persons Council . I do hope this is useful and thank you for writing in with your experience.
  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful
Next Response j
Previous Response k