My friends father was taken into hospital after a fall in his home as his leg gave way. The paramedics were marvellous but advised he should be checked over since he had been on the floor for some 12 hours. It took a long time for him to be checked over and the observations made by his family were dismissed. He was hallucinating and only after much insistence from his family it was investigated. They were told it was due to a water infection. Overnight they put in a catheter and he contracted MRSA. The catheter was removed and he was put in a private room and told to use the bathroom. He managed to walk with his frame to the door but when trying to manage to open the door his leg gave way again he fell and broke his hip. He deteriorated day by day with water infections catheter inserted again and being blocked. Swallowing became bad and he could not eat or drink properly. Insufficient staffing levels and everything was put down to his age. It was a relief when he was sent to Dereham hospital where they looked after him exceptionally well. He never returned home but died there.
"Poor care at unknown hospital followed, finally, by great care at Dereham Hospital"
About: Dereham Hospital Dereham Hospital Dereham NR19 2EX
Posted by Bones (as ),