"Apalling communication and no respect for..."
About: Tameside General Hospital Tameside General Hospital Ashton Under Lyne OL6 9RW
Posted by Anonymous
Was taken into this hospital by ambulance in February with extreme pain. Ambulance alone took 2 and a half hours to arrive, I live approximately 15 minutes drive away from this hospital. Was told it may be kidney stones. Catalogue of disaster. details inputted wrong at reception meaning that the lab would not process my blood samples. Not informed of results. Bedside manner of doctors atrocious. I was not even offered pain relief. Told them I also had upper abdominal pain, it was agreed that this could be gall bladder, potentially gall stones, but that I would need to go to my GP with that as they could only deal with one issue (What?!) Transferred to another hospital in a different PCT with no explanation. Recently had a follow up appointment at Tameside Gen Urology clinic
Here is the catalogue of errors from just one appointment:
- Receptionist told me my appointment had been cancelled and rescheduled for next month. I said I knew nothing of this, she decided to argue saying a letter had been sent out. I asked to speak to a senior member of staff responsible for the administration, or to have their contact details. As if by magic, she 'finds' me on another system where my appointment is still valid, apologises for the 'mistake' and sends me to the waiting area telling me she has informed the clinic that I am there.
- 2 hours later I am still waiting. Notice in the waiting area attached to the nurse station desk states that the doctor running the clinic likes to spend longer with patients than allocated so the clinic will run late. If you cant wait, speak to staff to make another appointment (begs the question what's the point if it will be similarly disregarded at the next clinic; what's the point in appointments at all?). Equally there are no staff around to ask.
- finally saw a member of staff, so went up to ask her what was happening. I said "excuse me" she completely ignored me until she had finished what she was doing then turned to me and said "What". I asked about my appointment as the electronic signage suggests you do if you have a question about your appointment. the response? "I'm not running that clinic". I asked her to please find someone that was as I consider 2 hours to be unacceptable delay in terms of 'running late'.
- 30 seconds later called in by a nurse who says I am not on anyone's system and claims reception did not tell her I was there. Apologises for 'delay' and leaves me in room whilst she "find[s] out what's going on".
- doctor arrives, tells me she was busy with patients at another clinic in another borough/ PCT to whom she has a duty of care. What about Doc to me and those in this clinic? notes are wrong, information is missing. Thinks I am there for Gall stones. Had to ring another hospital for ultrasound results. Dates wrong. Had I arrived 2 hours late for my appointment I would not have been seen, but its OK for them to keep me for over 2 hours and to disregard appmnt. times. Disgusting and disrespectful.