"Very bad"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

Anything else?

My husband has been passed around this hospital since May 2011.

He is under the care of the Trauma and Orthopaedics department. After having an MRI scan and X rays, he was passed to the Physiotherapy department, who after treatment agreed they could do no more for him.

He was referred to the Pain Clinic in January 2012, and to this date has not been seen by this department, whilst letters have passed between the Pain Clinic at Lister and the Trauma and Orthopaedics department at the QEII, back and forth for six months, my husband has become increasingly disabled.

He collapsed at work about three months ago and was taken to the A&E Department at the QEII, where he was prescribed a cocktail of drugs.

He was also supposed to have another appointment with the Trauma and Orthopaedics department in March 2012. This appointment has never taken place.

He is being neglected by the Trauma and Orthopaedics department, and has now been passed to the Royal Free hospital for pain Injections, and the Trauma and Orthopaedics department won't see him again, unless he gets another referal from his GP.

Last Saturday 14th July, he was taken by ambulance to the Emergency department at the Lister Hospital after having extremely distressing spasms for hours.

His excellent Speciality Doctor who saw him, and his first scan, believed that the time had passed to be just treated with pain management, and that something further needed to be done.

Upon contacting the secretary for the department to inform of this latest development, was told to go back to his GP to get another referral letter just to get another appointment. (One which should have taken place in March).

I am disgusted,and will be seeking to take the matter further.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

We're sorry that this matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction and whilst you are free to make a formal complaint, we were wondering if you would consider an alternative - if you e-mail us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net, we could then look in to your husband's case and see if there is any more immediate assistance that might be offered. You would need to provide your husband's details in your e-mail, including his full name, address and date of birth.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful