"Good care, great staff but very long wait for..."

About: Furness General Hospital

What I liked

I was admitted into A&E following a seizure, I was brought in by ambulance and placed in a side room. I was esorted by a nurse who took my observations and was seen by a doctor and a consultant within the alloted 4 hours. Although it is a pain waiting for so long it is completely underatandable for a busy hospital and I know perfectly well that the staff are busy with priority patients far more worse off than myself. Being a student myself on A&E a few years back I find it very irritating that people complain of the time to wait when there are people who have had severe accidents, heart attacks, strokes etc who require immediate attention. I was transfered to MAU, where the ward and staff were very pleasant, unfortuantely I didnt get a great nights sleep, but again I am a light sleeper and would expect nothing less from a busy acute ward. I have nothing bad to say about the paramedics, nurses and doctors I have seen in A&E, MAU and neurology outpatients and am happy with the care I have received.

What could be improved

My only grievance is with the time I have waited for appointments ect and the administration.

I had my seizure early Jan and received an MRI mid Feb (I made this appointment myself after hearing nothing for 2 weeks- I spoke to nearly every receptionist in the hospital before one lady told me that I was due to have one but it hadnt been booked- did I want to book it?- erm yes please!) I also contacted neurology services (again after talking to several receptionists) to ask when my appointment with the neurologist may be as I would need to arrange the time off work, the receptionist was very shocked and informed me that I had only been on the list 2 weeks & that it could take 17 weeks! I eventually saw my neurologist mid April who told me he was diagnosing epilepsy and sending me for an EEG which was the following week , I am still waiting for these results and it is now the end of May.

I appreciate that it takes time but I waited 14 weeks for a diagnosis and to start medication and 20 weeks later I am still waiting for results. Thankfully I have had no futher seizures but I am sick of phoning receptionists chasing things up, I like to be informed about my tests, even if they are no abnormal findings I would like to know.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Furness General Hospital

We’re sorry you were unhappy with aspects of your care with us. If you would like us to investigate further please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01539 795 497. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment on our services, and apologies for the delay in responding, we would like to assure you that we regularly review the comments and pass them on to the department concerned and continue to strive to improve the service we offer our patients.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful