"OUT PATIENTS DEPARTMENT"

About: Croydon University Hospital

My visit to out patients dept was ok. I was seen and it was ok,but.... very confusing for older patients who are met by a non friendly receptionist, no hello, no smile nothing, poker faced looking like she wished she was elsewhere! very rude really. When i witnessed a few older patients booking in etc she was of no help and some asked her to speak up as they were hard of hearing and the receptionist just repeated what she had said, did not get closer or raise her voice to help them hear, so poor......no clear instructions to them. Why can't people just be nicer.....get a job where they are not public facing maybe. So sad to see this, I sat there for 30 mins waiting for my appointment and it was sad to see all these people being treated this way. Receptionist training and people skills training needed!!

Response from Sarah Pritchard, Senior Quality Lead, Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

I would like to express our sincere on behalf of OPD for any distress this visit caused you, we aim to give patients the best care and experience when visiting our department and I am sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case.

I assure you that we take customer service and professionalism very seriously and are continuously offering our staff training in these areas.

I have addressed this situation with the receptionist in question and have reiterated the importance of delivering good customer service at all times.

We are constantly reviewing staff training needs and what we can offer to enable them to deliver the service that patients need. All staff are part of this and will participate in all training modules that are centred around patient care.

We have programmes booked with the learning and development team that offer staff a refresher on the core skills and behaviours that are expected of them when at work.

I hope that in the future if you visit the Outpatients dept that you see an improvement, we strive to offer a pleasant experience for all.

Kind Regards