"Excellent service received from moorgate ward"

About: Derriford Hospital / Neurosurgery

I was transferred to derriford hospital by ambulance for an emergency brain operation whilst on holiday in Cornwall. As soon as I arrived I was treated with the upmost care & respect by all the staff. I had an abscess the size of a plum pressing on the language & perception areas within my brain, both were altered; I couldnt speak & my perception was incedably high. I also has sepsis. After the surgery I was in agony, was shaking & crying. The staff showed empathy & called the pain specialist out to see me & he administered what I needed to help reduce the pain, I don't know his name but I want to thank him as he was excellent at his job & showed love & care. In the neurology ward everything ran smoothly, meds were on time, equipment was good, everything was clean, food was lovely & presented well. The doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, carers porters & all staff were professional polite & friendly. At times I was terrified as I couldnt speak or remember the alphabet & as my senses were heightened every noise was louder & colours were brighter, actions were animated. I was comforted by the staff as they explained what was happening to me, I felt safe in their hands. I could feel the energy from people & places & within derriford hospital it was excellent so I can't thank them enough for saving my life with the best care & attention I've ever received or seen within any hospital.

Response from Alison Stanton, Complaints and PALS Manager, University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust

Matron for Emergency Services has responded to say:

I would like to say thank you the positive feedback and that it will be passed on to the staff. I am glad the team made the patient feel more at ease during this traumatic time.