"Waiting area seating"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

(as a relative),

As the result of a fall, my wife had a full hip replacement. Prior to discharge from Wishaw General Hospital, the Occupational Health took great care to ensure that, at home our bed, toilet seat, various chairs all had appropriate temporary measures put in place e.g. raised toilet seat with support frame. All measures to ensure that the new hip would not be damaged or dislocate.

On attending a follow up appointment at Outpatients, we were surprised to find that the fixed seating in the A & E waiting area, had very low fixed plastic seating without arms. Not all in the waiting area would  require higher seating with support arms. However as it was stressed to us before my wife was discharged, following her operation, correct support and seating is required for minimum period of 8 weeks.

I would have thought that a designated area of appropriate seating in the waiting area would have been provided.

Response from Maureen Dobbin, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical Care, Wishaw General Hospital We are preparing to make a change

Dear HJR,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to hear that your wife's discharge was well planned especially by the occupational therapist.

As a result of your feedback we are going to review the seating in multiple locations on the site and will share this concern with our colleagues across NHS Lanarkshire.

I hope that your wife is continuing to recover well at home,

Best Wishes