"The ward was very clean and the toilets..."

About: Russells Hall Hospital

The ward was very clean and the toilets checked for cleanliness 3 times a day - even though I was in a side ward with my own en suite.

The staff worked well together and created a friendly atmosphere.

Nothing was too much trouble - I was unwell after returning from theatre but was shown patience and a genuine caring approach by all staff.

I have been involved with the NHS for 35 years either as a nurse/manager, patient and carer and I was begining to feel disappointed with the sytem following negative experiences but my short stay on B1 has restored my confidence in the NHS and its staff.

I liked that fact that I was treated with respect and dignity in theatre and the ward, without exception I found all staff to be professional in their approach and they genuinely appeared to want me to have a positive experience during my stay.

I was unable to eat at the allocated meal times but was provided sandwiches and a cup of tea late at night when I felt well enough to eat and drink. It is the little things that mean so much when you are feeling unwell.

What could be improved

Difficult to find anything -

Anything else?

I expect my experience is not typical for all patients so I would recommend learning from the leadership shown on this ward.

Response from Russells Hall Hospital

Thank you for the positive feedback on your stay at Russells Hall Hospital.

We are pleased that your time with us was a positive one and you were satisfied with your care.