"The most empowering labour experience I could..."

About: Pontefract General Infirmary / Maternity care

I gave birth in pontefract midwife unit on July 9th last year, and whilst I am only just getting around to writing a review - that is no reflection of the service I received.

This was my first child, so I had no idea what to expect and was full of fear. The midwives empowered both me and my partner through proving advice and support, but allowing us the space to do what comes naturally in a safe and supportive environment. I arguably was not the best patient, yet I was still treated with total respect, dignity and complete empathy.

I had a water birth, and all facilities were clean to the highest possible standard. When I arrived in the unit there was a lady already in the pool, while we awaited access I was supported in a different room, and the transition between the two when the pool became available was seamless.

I had, what I feel was the most positive birthing experience possible and my partner feels exactly the same; as the midwives empowered him to support me through my labour. I also came away from the birth with zero aftercare necessary, and I truly believe this was a result of the lack of intervention and the midwives overall approach to supporting delivery.

I cannot recommend the service or thank the staff enough.

This is an amazing service that I feel a lot of maternity units could learn from.

I also want to take this opportunity to highlight the support that was provided by F.A.B following my discharge from hospital - to support breastfeeding. Over the initial weeks I had some real issues as my baby had a tongue tie, their early identification/treatment and the daily support in teaching my baby how to latch was the only thing that kept me breastfeeding. It was a very difficult time, and I definitely would have moved to bottles without them.

Amazing services, I can't thank you enough.

Response from Pontefract General Infirmary

Thank you very much indeed for this wonderful feedback. We are so pleased that you found the care you received to be supportive and really appreciate you taking the time to describe your experience.