"It was apparent that there were ..."
About: Milton Keynes Hospital Milton Keynes Hospital Milton Keynes MK6 5LD
Posted via NHS Choices
What I liked
It was apparent that there were good systems in place to ensure that all procedures were carried out properly. For example every nurse always checked my wrist tag before administering medication; detailed notes were kept about my bathing, eating and sleeping habits. My temperature and blood pressure were checked religiously. I got the general feeling that I was being monitored by a system bigger than any one individual staff member which I found reassuring. Beds were very hi-tech which really enhanced the comfort level. TV, Telephone and Games were provided. Lots of tea and coffee rounds.
What could be improved
I received medication every four hours for four days but I don't think I ever met the same nurse twice! This made it seem a bit impersonal.
About 80% of the staff I met were sympathetic and polite but unfortunately dealing with the other 20% during such an emotional time was very disconcerting.
When I was moved from CDU to another ward, I asked what was happening to which I got the flippant reply "you're being moved because this isn't a ward". I didn't know whether I was being moved to a theatre or what type of ward or what was going on - what made it worse was that the junior staff got in to an argument about who should move my bed which made me feel very uncared for.
I think that MK Hospital is an excellent hospital that provides an exceptional level of medical care but I can't help feeling that some of the front line nurses are letting them down a bit with relatively minor issues.