"my cataract treatment"
About: William Harvey Hospital William Harvey Hospital Ashford TN24 0LZ
Posted by L*******n
Below is the summary of my observations during my treatment
1. All three wards and toilets are spotlessly clean
2. Every member greets patients with a smile and treat them with respect .
3. The clinical staff starts the conversation with the patient by giving their names and the job titles first. Then they explain what their job entail and how her work would help the patient
4. They explain the procedure that follow the consultation clearly and unambiguously
(When staff examined my eye they have explained to me what measurement they were taking and why. (i.e how the readings they took would help the consultant at operation theatre. )
5. Consultants takes time to explain the whole operation in details and in layman’s terms.
This is very reassuring
6. At the end of the consultation the Nurse or Consultant, always ask “If there any question you would like to ask me”
(Every patient worries about the operation and think “what would happen if operation goes wrong. Would I go blind. ” They are fully aware of how nervous and worried the patients are and try their best to reassure them before and during the operation.)
7. During the operation the consultant asks the patient if they are ok, at every few minutes.
(It is very reassuring for patient to know that they are not being ignored as an object on the table . )
8. The staff do not ignore the patients nor do they talk over their heads
9. Call centre staff has Excellent telephone manner
The booking system is very efficient
Mistake proof operation procedure
(To avoid any mistakes patients eye is clearly marked with an arrow using a felt tip. Not only that but the consult would also ask the patient repeatedly which eye is going under the knife. Sometime s due to nervousness the patient gets left and right mixed up. A member of staff therefore touches one eye and ask the patient if it is this the right one. (It is the same Poke Yoke method we engineers adapt at Rolls Royce shop floor in order to make sure that mistakes wont happen )
I must say that I have come across only one negative during the 5 months that took to complete my treatment.
I would write about it once somebody have acknowledge this complimentary letter.
I have been to a few other areas of the hospital in the past and have encountered non clinical staff who doesnot think much about patient care. Some of non-clinical staff at front desks have “What I am doing working here” attitude. They could not care less about how the patient fee as long as they get paid.
They talk over the head of patients and sometimes use too many medical jargons to confuse us.
Fortunately, your staff at the two eye wards and the operation theatre are million miles away from them. Your colleagues are highly trained professionals with total care towards patients.