"Long waiting time in A & E"
About: Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department Wishaw General Hospital Emergency department ML2 0DP
Posted by Joanniemac (as ),
• Mum fell in a shop, required assistance getting up, in great deal of pain, unable to move her left arm.
• An ambulance was called; she was advised to get a taxi to Wishaw General Hospital A & E Dept, where she would be seen immediately.
• Arrived at WGH 40 minutes after her fall, was advised by receptionist that she was a “minor” and asked to take a seat
• Spoke to receptionist 2 h later and and then again after another hour and was advised again that she was a “minor” and there were two people in front of her.
• Approx 4 hours after getting to A&E she was called to be seen by nurse, after being seen she was advised that she had broken her humerus bone. Was given a sling, pain relief and an appointment for fracture clinic.
1. I would like to know why my mum wasn't seen by a triage nurse?
2. Is this because receptionists are medically trained to make assessments and decide who is to be seen by triage?
3. If this is the case, should the receptionist not ask further medical details?
If the receptionist had asked my mum about her medical history they would have discovered the following –
My mum has COPD, Angina, High Blood Pressure, Rheumatoid Arthritis and more importantly suffered a heart attack 2 months ago.
My mum was in a great deal of pain, extremely anxious and concerned that her stents may have moved.