"GP appointment"

I saw a doctor yesterday. I have had problems with my intestines for 6 months now. When I went last time I was told there is gallstone or polyp in my gallbladder but no one was interested in my intestines problems. They even did not check if it gallstone or polyp or cancer? I went yesterday to see a doctor cause I am still not feeling well. I have recently done the FOB test and it is positive. My dad is recently in hospital having intestines cancer and he also told me that his mum died because of intestines. I showed my FOB test yesterday, explained about my problems with intestines and about my pain which I had for a month last time and recently but the doctor ignored me when I asked about colonoscopy cause I have had all test and scans in last 6 months and they still don't know what is wrong with me. The doctor only wanted to send me for another blood test only. Finally I have forced the colonoscopy but they said it will not be urgent cause they think I am 38 years old so I should not have a cancer? That's redicules. If there be serious problem I will come back to my GP and I will not leave it like that cause it has been 6 months now and they only trying to send me away...

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Upton Hospital


Thank you for your posting. I am sorry to see that you are experiencing health problems as is your father. I have spoken to senior staff at Slough Walk In Centre. We have now investigated the matter and have spoken to the Clinical Lead and the doctor.

We would like to apologise for the difficult consultation you had with the doctor. Further tests were required prior to a referral for a colonoscopy and

I understand that you were unwilling to undergo this examination with a male doctor. This is a perfectly reasonable request and arrangements can be made for you to see a female doctor. We are sorry that this was not made clear to you at the time. I understand that a female doctor has since been made available to you and an appropriate referral has been made.

I hope that this helps to allay your concerns. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Yours Sincerely,

Trevor Lyalle

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful