"I was admitted quickly and efficiently. The ..."

About: University Hospital (Coventry)

(as the patient),

What I liked

I was admitted quickly and efficiently.

The first doctor who treated me was friendly and thorough.

What could be improved

I was admitted at approx. 2100hrs. on the 4th. february 2010.

The staff nurse who's name was Karen didn't introduce herself to me, or engage in any kind of conversation other than of a medical nature.

At no time did anyone ask if I was ok, if I needed anything, particularly analgesia.

I was left on my own in a room for the vast majority of the 5 hours I was there.

I was examined by 2 doctors but not informed that the first doctor had either gone off duty or been called to work elsewhere.

I was examined for tachycardia/chest pain, had a chest x-ray and had 2 bloods taken, 1 veinous, 1 arterial, but only told that I had no clots, I wasn't told of the x-ray results or the likely cause of the tachycardia/chest pain.

Anything else?

I was admitted as a result of post-operation tachycardia. I had routine shoulder surgery at Rugby St. Cross at 1030hrs. on the 4th. February 2010, I was due to stay overnight but the wards were shut so was told I was suitable for day surgery.

Post-op. I had tachycardia which wouldn't settle down so as a result was told I was being transferred to University Hospital C & W, A & E department, I was transferred by ambulance, the paramedics were very friendly, professional and thorough.

Once at A & E I was admitted and placed in room 24, the comments posted above outline my treatment once there. I hadn't had anything to eat but 2 slices of toast for over 27 hours and very little water, I was feeling somewhat under the weather especially as I had just had surgery.

I felt neglected, the auxiliary? nurse that checked my blood pressure etc. was friendly enough and efficient but the staff nurse was totally disinterested in engaging with me apart from matters of a medical nature.

I had to ask a doctor for food, made my own way off the bed with great difficulty to the toilet, on the way back I asked for water which was bought to me.

For the vast majority of the time I was there I was totally alone and felt as though I was a nuisance, there was no sense of care particularly as I had just had surgery, no one seemed interested in that.

By the time the second doctor told me I had no clots so I could go home (0200hrs.) I was in no mood to pursue the other issues and just wanted to leave, I called my wife who arrived at approx. 0240hrs.

I monitored my own blood pressure and pulse rate at home over the next few days, it had settled down to normal around midday the 5th.

I dislike complaining over my treatment from the NHS as in general I have huge respect for the staff at all levels and appreciate the difficult job they do. However on this occasion I wasn't impressed with the care (or lack of) I received, sorry but it needed bringing to your attention.

Regards, Simon N Abel JP

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››