"Left with active Crohn's disease without any help"

About: City Hospital campus / Gastroenterology Queen's Medical Centre / Gastroenterology

(as the patient),

I am patient who suffer chronic inflammatory bowel disease Crohn's disease. Last year I started to have problems so I went to my GP who wrote to QMC specialists in Nottingham that I need an appointment due to this illness. I was left to wait 6 months for the appointment. By the time the illness got into so serious stage that I had to call back and beg for earlier help. When I finally was seen by the doctor I was passing blood constantly, was on 47 kilos and could not eat even one slice of bread. At the final the doctor told me that if that happen again, I will have to go for an operation. I would basically end up with getting it outside and left crippled for rest of my life (I am 30). This year I got my symptoms again since September. Again three months without help and the symptoms are going worse. I started to pass blood again. On Tuesday I called the secretary of my doctor to ask for earlier appointment. I was told that she will call me next day in order of change the appointment. Obviously nobody called me at all. That is how badly is working NHS for me in Nottingham. Would be glad if there would be someone who could tell me where else I can get help, because I really do not want to get into the same stage like before and definitely do not want to end up with bag outside and spoiled rest of my life. I am even thinking to get into the risk and try to treat the illness by myself with the rest of my prednisolone.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Jane Upton, Communications and Engagement Manager, Principia

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. Please do try to contact your GP again to talk to them about this.

You can also contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) which can provide you with further information and help you get the care you need. They can also provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you may want to make a complaint.

You can contact PALS by calling free phone number 0800 028 3693. Alternatively you can email them at pals@nottspct.nhs.uk.

Good luck and I hope you are soon well again.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Chris Hawkey, Professor of Gastroenterology, Queen's Medical Cenrte

When I heard about this I sent a message saying you could come up to the next clinic, but I dont know if this got through to you or if you have been seen now (as this is all anaonymous). Apologies for things going wrong. If you specifically contact my secretary in future I'll make sure you are seen promptly.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful