"Delay in getting treated"

About: Raigmore Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

(as the patient),

I have an injured ankle. It was established at the outset that the damage is to ankle ligaments.

I am on my feet as part of my job and have been in constant pain because of my ankle. My GP gave me a variety of painkillers (none are managing the pain) and in April 14 referred me to a specialist at Raigmore Hospital.

After a 22 week wait I got to see an Orthopedics doctor in Sept. An X ray was taken then but nothing found amiss with bones in the foot. X rays don't show ligaments and soft tissues, where the problem is.

I was told that I would have to be referred to an ankle specialist.

It seems odd for me now to have been referred back to the original doctor I have seen before, previous to the above, over the very same ankle problem. The last time I saw this doctor (In a hospital at Golspie) I was told there was no more could be done for me so I have waited 22 weeks in pain to be told the very same.

I am now 37 weeks on from the date I was initially referred to a specialist about my ankle and still do not have an appointment with someone who can do anything.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

Dear ankle pain,

I have noticed that you have not had a response to your post. I am sorry to read about the experiences you have had with getting your injured ankle treated. I wanted to offer some information to you if you would like some help in raising these issues with the NHS. The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an independent service providing free and confidential information, advice and support to anyone who wants to give feedback to the NHS.

You can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland by going to a bureau in person, or by telephone. The number is in the phone book. You can find more information about the service at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

When you contact your citizens advice bureau, you will see a generalist adviser who will refer you to a specialist adviser if necessary. You can get information and advice on giving feedback to the NHS including the rights and responsibilities of both the NHS and patients.

The adviser will be able to meet you and explain the NHS complaints process, and help you to draft a written letter to provide feedback to the NHS. The adviser can also explain the NHS complaints procedure and support you if you are asked to attend a meeting with the NHS to discuss your feedback.

Best wishes,

Niamh O’Driscoll

Patient Advice and Support Service

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful