"A week on ward without seeing a doctor"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / General Medicine

(as a relative),

Mum admitted to hospital been on antibiotics for one week, never seen a doctor since admitted despite requests by ward and family.

Response from Gillian McAuley, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Hospital,

I am really sorry to hear this is your experience and would be keen to discuss this further will you. If you are able please contact me on 01698 366002.

Kind Regards,

Gillian

Dear Hospital,

It was really good to speak to you yesterday and I totally understand your frustrations. However, I was pleased to hear that your mum got home and I hope she is continuing to make a good recovery.

Kind Regards,

Update posted by Hospital (a relative)

Thank you Gillian, appreciated you returning my call however, I don't feel we have had any answers or an apology. We did speak on Thursday morning and I highlighted my frustration that yet again mum had to wait from Tuesday to Thursday afternoon for a doctor to discharge her home, mum was bed blocking and I'm sure if the hospital had been on red alert then the situation would have been different.

Response from Hakim BenYounes, Chief of Medical Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Hospital,

I’m sorry to hear of your mum’s experience whilst in hospital with us.

One of my Orthopaedic colleagues will be writing to your mum as agreed this morning. Your story will be shared widely with doctors and nurses at Wishaw learning events and meetings to avoid this happening in the future.

Kind regards

Hakim Ben Younes

• Hospital thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Hospital (a relative)

Yet again I'm so disappointed, when is NHS Lanarkshire Acute Services going to improve on communication? It feels like the responses on patient opinion are lip service to show government etc that they are responding to complaints.

Last response on Patient Opinion was stating a letter from Orthopaedic colleagues would be sent to my mum that was on the 25th September 2014 unfortunately hasn't arrived.

Response from Marion Mark, Director of Hospital Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Hospital

You have every right to be disappointed with us we seem to keep letting you down with our communication. I am unclear as to why you have not received a letter and I will investigate this immediately and arrange for me or one of my colleagues to call you.

Please accept my apologies for our lack of communication regarding your mum.

Kind Regards

Marion

Updates, changes and questions related to this story