"long long wait on trolly"

About: Good Hope Hospital

I was rushed in on Saturday morning at 6.30 , paramedics had been marvelous. They passed me on to the nursing staff who totally ignored me and had me pushed across next to a tea makingng area in major injury dept. No one spoke to me at all, left there for 40 mins then all of a sudden I was being pushed to a side cubicle Still no words spoken by the porter or any one else ( I was alone and scared and been taken in screaming in pain to begin with) thank God for morphine from paramedics. A sister eventually appeared no introduction just proceeded to put a line in me! She said there was a wait for doctor but no idea how long! Another 45 mins later she asked how the pain was Very bad I said the morphine had started to stop the awful pain in my abdomin. She said I could have a small dose of paracetamol, not very approachable from the start. My man arrived thank god and could'nt believe I had not yet been seen the state I was in when paramedics arrived was terrible and very scarey. A nice doctor eventually came and examined me said he was concerned there was a lump in my lower abdomin and wanted a surgeons second opinion and scans. He took bloods. Well another hour later who ever it was came in rushed asking what had taken place said he thought I had gastro enteritus and could'nt find a lump even though he felt the wrong area! He said he would need results from blood test's and I would be admitted to ward 17.. he left and my partner was told he should come back later so he went off to work. Ten mins later I heard my name being mentioned by the man who I presume was the surgeon ( I still have no idea who he was) he was saying he did,nt want to admit me with gastro enteritus and was sending me home before the blood test's results I might add! He came over told me this and said just drink small amounts of water. I was then dissenged from the heart monitor and lines and told I could go? No clothes on except a dressing gown, my walking sticks where at home so I asked for a wheel chair and asked them to phone my partner who was told ten minutes ago to leave. I was pushed over to the doors where the emergency's come in and left!!!!! The first doctor saw me and came rushing across to ask what I was doing. When I told him he said no no I will go and sort this out (I did'nt have the heart to tell him the other man said his diagnosis was incorrect) he asked if I had blood test results back? I told him no and my partner said he was taking me home because it was all a disgrace.. I am now lying in my bed scared and worried what is happening inside me, with the history I gave them I think a scan was a must! Thanks Good Hope!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Good Hope Hospital

Dears Madam, I am extremely concerned to have read your comments regarding your experience in the A&E Department at Good Hope Hospital in April 2014. All feedback is used by the Patient Experience Team to identify themes and trends across the organisation to highlight areas of improvement. Your comments have been forwarded to the Patient Experience Team. Please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Services Team on 0121 424 0808 should you have any unresolved issues following this incident. Yours faithfully Patient Services Team

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story