"3 hour wait in A&E for appointment...still didn't..."

About: Manchester Royal Infirmary

At the age of 38 this is the first actual review, be it positive, negative or neutral, that I have ever left in my whole life. On this occassion I feel compelled and obliged to review the (lack of) service I received on my visit to MRI. Following a footballing injury the previous week (4th March) I was required to attend an appointment at the Ankle Clinic. Following Doctor's orders I was told to report to A&E on the 14th March at 09:10. This itself caused it's own problems for me as it was during my working hours. In short, it meant starting work at 07:45 so I could at least make a head start on my day's work prior to my appointment. I managed to get an hour's work done before preceeding to walk the 0.4 miles to A&E from my place of work. This walk, in my current condition and on crutches, took the best part of 25 minutes. I arrived and was checked in at A&E at 09:08. At this time of the morning I was relieved to see the waiting room completely empty and was confident of being able to return to work within a reasonable amount of time. How wrong I was. I waited...and waited. I noticed the signs asking for patience as emergencies take priority and I didn't want to complain about my own waiting time as in my experience of hospitals a certain delay is to be expected. At 10:10 having waiting for an hour I decided to approach the receptionists. On enquiring, I was informed that the doctor due to take my appointment was not at the hospital on the day of my appointment (?) and a colleague of his was taking over his appointments and thus was a bit behind schedule. This piece of information would have been useful to me when I checked in at 09:10 so I could at least have informed my employers of the inevitable delay. However, I accepted the delay and returned my seat. As the waiting room at A&E inevitably got busier and busier it appeared my chances of getting seen, and certainly my 09:10 appointment being honoured, got slimmer and slimmer. A further 2 hour wait and at 12:10 enough unfortunately was enough. Out of courtesy at 12:10 I informed the receptionist staff that I had to return to work without receiving any treatment whatsoever and could they pass this on to my doctor. In fact, I actually left the hospital in a worse state than I arrived having not been able to keep my foot raised for any of a 3 hour period. So, another 1/2 mile walk back to work and then having to fit a whole day's work into 1/2 a day left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed by my vistit to Manchester Royal Infirmary. I feel like I have been let down by the NHS and treated with a lack of courtesy. The staff at the hospital have no idea the importance of the work I had to achieve on that particular day and the consequences of me not achieving my work objectives, why would they, but a 3 hour wait for an appointment with what amounts to be a fictitional doctor is just not acceptable in my eyes.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story