"Poor service. Too long to wait for an appointment."

About: Birmingham Dental Hospital

After being transferred to this dental hospital back in 2012 I had high hopes of having restoration work done on my teeth, due to hypodontia related problems, as quickly as possible as I was moving into my first year at university and in no way would I be able to afford it if i was not at university, and hopefully this would also solve confidence problems. However, it took until June of 2012 till April of 2013 to have one letter inviting me to a consultation appointment in the orthodontic department. Although an annoying wait due to the ongoing regressive situation of my teeth, I knew I would be waiting this long. Knuckling under the system, I arrived at the appointment only to be met by a rude receptionist. After waiting to be called in, I was seen by yet again another rude member of staff who made it seem like i was being scolded, he also didn't bother explaining to me what was going on with my teeth- which would have been nice for clarification as my dentist who referred me had no idea. It was good however that I received a letter there and then when leaving the dental hospital for a next appointment, which was a couple months away (June 2013). However, a week before this second appointment I received a phone call saying the Doctor had cancelled the appointment and therefore I would have to wait for a new one. Great. It is now February 2014, I am in my second year at university- not much time left to sort this out- and I have just received a letter for a new appointment. How does this work? This is not acceptable. If the dental hospital has cancelled on me, for whatever reason- the doctor is sick or I've been put in the wrong department- then it is the dental hospital's responsibility to reschedule a new appointment as close as possible to the last appointment, which clearly did not happen. Not only that, but I've been told I will be going to a new department and therefore this new appointment is another consultation, even though x-rays were done last time. In addition, I am unable to attend the 'new consultation appointment' because of commitments to university lectures. When I rang up to rearrange a new appointment I wasn't even told how long I may be waiting for, despite asking the receptionist on the phone. Now I will have to wait for another year probably to even reach consultation level again. From being transferred to the dental hospital in 2012 I have only had one appointment to visit the orthodontic department, it is now 2014- two years to wait for another consultation appointment. The situation is desperate, but no one at the dental hospital seems to understand this. I do not have the time and money to waste on this, please could you sort this out ASAP.

Response from Birmingham Dental Hospital

Your feedback has been shared with colleagues in the restorative and orthodontic services and I am aware you have separately emailed with more detail to allow this matter to be looked into. I am sorry you have experienced a long wait for treatment and hope that having brought this to our attention we can now resolve the matter.

Updates, changes and questions related to this story