"My Recent Stress Echo Cardiogram"

About: Cumberland Infirmary

Anything else?

I recently spent a couple of hours in the Cardiology Dept. at the Cumberland Infirmary. From the time I walked through the door, I felt rather nervous, not knowing what to really expect, even having read up on the subject on the web! I need not have had any fears, after waiting a short while, a nurse took me into the treatment room, doubled checked my details and so-on. She even asked how I'd like to be addressed!! a nice touch . . She went on to explain what would happen and when. I was asked to disrobe to the waist, even when my trousers fell down she was so helpful in grabbing them! I sat on the bed/couch and the nurse explained she was going to place a line into a vein in my right arm in order to allow the drug to be infused. I mentioned that my right arm was maybe not the place to find a vein! She had a look, then tried my left arm with the same result, no joy!! She said her only real choice then was into the back of my right hand . . . . . she warned it would be really tender, however, got the cannula in without causing me any hardship at all. A set of ECG electrodes were placed on my chest, an ECG and a scan was done at rest. The Doctor then came in and the Dobutamine infusion was started. Even while this was taking place, I felt no discomfort at all, I was continually asked if I was OK by the nurse, the doctor and the physiologist carrying out the scan, it was very reassuring to be taken care of so "personally". After a while it was decided that the Dobutamine was not doing much at all! a second drug, Atropine, was then injected via the cannula, after a very short while my heart started to race . . . . I've never felt my heart beating so fast!! AT this point I started to feel some chest tightness and little "twinges" of sharp pain. All very normal I understand. After another minute or so, the infusion was stopped and a final scan taken, along with my BP and ECG. After a few minutes I was sitting up, the ECG electrodes removed, the BP cuff was off and I was feeling fine! The Nurse then helped me dress and asked would I like a tea or coffee, I was sat back in the waiting area, my coffee was brought, along with biscuits! the nurse mentioned they would leave the cannula in for about 40 minutes or so, just to make sure I felt ok . . . . . I left the hospital about one and a half hours after coming in, I felt really well, my heart felt quite normal, for me that is!! I'd like to Thank the nurse, the physiologist and the doctor who all looked after me so well and put me at my ease . . . They Will Know Who They Are! Thank You All

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Cumberland Infirmary

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Cardiology Department at the Cumberland Infirmary. Our staff always endeavour to provide high-standards of care and we are pleased that you felt they were very reassuring and communicated well with you. We hope that all is proceeding well with your care.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story