"Planning to move my father to a hospital that is difficult to visit"

About: Princess Royal University Hospital / General medicine

(as a relative),

My father was admitted to Princess Royal University Hospital with a stroke almost a week ago. I still haven't been able to speak to anyone senior despite asking several times about his condition, what to expect, how severe his stroke was, etc.

The nurses in the HASU have been very caring and attentive but I still feel I need to speak to someone senior. They are now planning to move him to Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich which is extremely difficult for me or my sister to visit (the only two people who are likely to visit him), even though the PRUH now has a bed for him on the general stroke ward.

His GP has requested that he should stay here where we can visit more easily (even though this is still a 2 hour journey for both of us). I am left feeling very frustrated that I know very little about my father's condition and worried that with difficult visiting if he is moved to QE, his prospects of rehabilitation will be much slower and more difficult as we won't be able to visit him as often.

None of this seems to be taken into account - it seems to me that he is allocated QE because his postcode has been put into a computer and the computer says no. Is this in line with your patient charter?

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

Dear Borrie

We noticed your post and thought you may be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to support you. Stroke Association is the leading charity in the UK changing the world for people affected by stroke.

Our Stroke Helpline is there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. You may want to know more about stroke and its effects, be looking for practical information and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk. We also have a range of services across the UK, providing information, advice and support to stroke survivors and their families. You can find out if there is a service in your area by contacting the Helpline.

We were sorry to hear of your father’s stroke and that you feel you are feeling frustrated about his possible transfer to another hospital. It may be helpful to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS is an independent organisation, there to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible. You can telephone PALS at (name of hospital) on (phone number) or email them at (email)

Finally, you can also find lots of information about stroke on our website at www.stroke.org.uk. You can read about our services, read or listen to other people’s experiences and download all of our publications free of charge. There is news about our campaigns to improve services for stroke survivors, national and local events and our research programmes. You can also join the Talkstroke discussion group where you can share your experiences with other people who have been affected by stroke.

I hope that this is helpful and that you are now getting the support that you need to make the best recovery possible.

Stroke Information Service


Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.

We would like to hold your details so that we can send you information about the work of Stroke Association. If you would like us to keep in touch please email subscribe@stroke.org.uk with your contact details.

If you would like to make a donation to Stroke Association, you can do so on our website at http://www.stroke.org.uk/donate/make_a_donation.html

All donations are gratefully received. Please do not forget to "Gift Aid" your donation if you are a UK tax payer. Alternatively, if you would like to support us with a regular donation, you can do so here: http://giving.stroke.org.uk

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story