"CAU Abandonement"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency

I was referred to CAU by my GP with a suspected infection that may have been meningitis.   I arrived at 2: 30pm and was told there could be a three or four hour wait. I wasn't seen by a medic until 11 hours later. During this time, I was stuck under the bright lights whilst severely suffering from light sensitivity. They refused to dim the lights, even though the other patients were okay with it and all though I was sobbing in pain did not help me.

I have severe arthritis and told them many times that sitting in this seat was starting to cause me to seize up as I had by this point missed my evening meds. They told me I couldn't get any pain relief until I saw the doctor. I developed an angry rash about an hour into my visit, and with the meningitis fear told a nurse, who said just to tell the medic.

The medic I didn't see for another 10 hours. I had to get a covid test when I arrived which was totally fine. What wasn't fine is that I had a negative test, yet until I got that result about seven hours in I was sitting with people who were confirmed covid positive! One person came in, their mask was under their nose, they slouched over the chair, people came to help, they said they were covid positive, they took them away and in the whole time I was there his seat was never cleaned, the strip with their blood on it from their blood sugar test was just sitting on the floor and this was all right across from me, someone who didn't have covid and who is on immunosuppresents but who has now been exposed to someone who is positive!

When I finally saw a doctor they confirmed that I may have meningitis and told me I had to spend the night but there were no beds. I wanted to go the five minutes home and just come back next day but was told that wasn't wasn't option. I was then forced to sit back on the arthritis hurting chairs, still sore, still sick, still light sensitive under bright lights for over another hour waiting on a bed, which I was only given when I said I was leaving.

I was never given pain killers of any kind, not even the ones I am prescribed daily. I could not sleep sleep was left in pain due to the bright lights of the ward which were never off. The next morning I had a mental breakdown, my anxiety and OCD compulsive thoughts were so severe that I was feeling like I deserved to die. I finally was able to tell this to a nurse and that I felt I had to talk to someone in the mental health team as I have done previously. This was never acted upon. Om the morning  drug round only half of my regular tablets were there and none of my creams or gels, which led to more pain and a flare up of my psoriasis. That's what happens when patients are in my experience ignored and forced into situations that aggravate their illnesses.

Response from Laura Harvey, Quality Improvement Lead for Patient Experience, Nursing Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran 2 months ago
Laura Harvey
Quality Improvement Lead for Patient Experience, Nursing Directorate,
NHS Ayrshire and Arran
Submitted on 24/09/2021 at 14:43

Dear Daftydil

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback. I appreciate that this has been a very distressing experience and I am very sorry that the care you received was lacking in compassion and empathy for your situation.

We would welcome the opportunity to investigate your concerns in more detail and if you feel this would be helpful, please feel free to contact Linda Russell, University Hospital, Crosshouse on 01563 826210 or at linda.russell7@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.

Laura Harvey