"My dad's illness"

About: General practices in Lanarkshire University Hospital Hairmyres / Accident & Emergency

(as a relative),

My dad took very ill on Monday and I rushed him to Hairmyres. We have been really let down my the GP as they haven't been to visit him since the virus began and my dad's illness has been worsening. I was panicked and honestly quite frustrated on arrival as I have felt he has been so let down by the NHS, we were put into a room at the side to await for a cubicle which only heightened my frustration as he was struggling to breathe.

We were taken into a cubicle not long after by a nurse who immediately put my dad at ease and did everything that was needed whilst keeping us well informed of what was being done and why. It is this type of communication that is so often lost in the NHS, so many people could take a leaf out of this book!

I would like to commend this nurse for how they handled us both, unfortunately bearing the brunt of much of my frustration but handled everything with an outstanding demeanor. We didn't see the nurse again after speaking with the doctor (who was also excellent) but I would like to thank them and give my apologies for taking my frustrations out on them. My dad is now feeling much better and our faith has been restored in the NHS!

Response from Carol Miller, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, University Hospital Hairmyres 2 weeks ago
Carol Miller
Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine,
University Hospital Hairmyres
Submitted on 31/07/2020 at 13:14

Dear AnnApologie,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at University Hospital Hairmyres. I am so pleased to hear that your dad is feeling better and that we have managed to restore your faith in the NHS. Effective communication is paramount when we have loved ones in hospital and I'm delighted that you found this to be the case when your dad was in our care. I will gladly pass on your thanks to the nursing and medical staff in our Emergency Department who I am sure would have fully appreciated your anxieties at the time when your dad was unwell. Please give your dad our best wishes and thank you once again.

Best wishes