"I was really disappointed"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

Our time in A& E was 5 hours long. I am 37 weeks pregnant, it was 8 45pm when we arrived with a suspected broken ankle. After 4 hours my partner complained to reception and we were seen. I had an xray and the three staff members in there were really quite rude. Having loud personal conversations in a little room next to me at 1am whilst I sat in a wheelchair, alone waiting for them to take me in for xray. The doctor we saw was nice and friendly however.

I was really disappointed in the service this time and as a professional myself, don't understand why other professionals (in xray) find it acceptable to have private conversations so loud and not explain what I am waiting for as I sat alone in a cold corridor with no one but them around. One of the staff members never ever said hello to me when I was in the room, but instead discussed pregnancy and wearing lead aprons (I was quite obviously nervous and scared about xray whilst pregnant as I asked them when I was wheeled into the room) and their opinions on it with another of the xray staff, it made me feel really uncomfortable. Visiting A& E is always a lengthy visit which you keep in mind before you visit, I've not had anything to complain about before because you just know that it isn't going to be quick, it's the nature of A& E but this visit really was not pleasant and I am very disappointed.

Response from Elaine Turrell, Interim Lead Sister, ED, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust 2 months ago
Elaine Turrell
Interim Lead Sister, ED,
United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Submitted on 10/03/2020 at 22:14

Hi N123

Please accept my apologies for your recent disappointing visit to Lincoln ED. I would like to investigate this further if possible and speak to the staff involved. I would need you to supply more information for me to do that, if you wish me to do this then you could contact PALS in the first instance. The team can be contacted via pals@ulh.nhs.uk or 01522 707071. Could you please quote reference CO747810

The behaviour you describe is certainly not what I expect of any ED staff and I can only apologise that you were made to feel this way. Unfortunately long waits are common at present and we are working on several projects to improve this aspect of our service.

I wish you all the very best with the rest of your pregnancy and once again please accept my apologies

Many Thanks