"Overnight stay in hdu."

About: Musgrove Park Hospital / Paediatrics

(as a parent/guardian),

My son was admitted to hdu overnight... the day nurses were amazing and couldn’t of done more, the night shift however were quite rude about me going to sleep In my room and leaving my baby asleep in what I was told was 24/7 care, the nurse said that I needed to stay there to look after him when she was too too busy. When I pointed out I had been in resus since 6am and I was also 8months pregnant she said she could take my number and call me when he wakes up. This was very distressing as it meant walking from the league of friends bungalow near a+e to acorn in the early hours of the morning alone and struggling. All in all I was called twice to hdu where I had no bed and left to my own devices, all while feeling like the worst mother in the world for wanting some rest...

Response from Gita Modgil, Consultant Paediatrician & Clinical Service Lead for Paediatrics, Paediatrics, Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Jk123,

I am so sorry that your son needed to be admitted overnight to our PHDU. I am pleased to read your positive feedback about our nurses that you met in the day. I shall pass your thanks on to this team personally.

I am really disappointed to hear your more negative feedback about your experience overnight and how that made you feel, especially given how tired you must have been, how worried you must have been about your son not to mention the fact that you are eight months pregnant. I would really like to hear more about this from you and I wonder if this would be easier to chat through together over the telephone or I would be very happy to meet together if that would be easier for you. My secretary's number is 01823 342691. Please do contact me so I can hear more about your experience first hand and provide some individual and team feedback as necessary.

I would hope that this is an unusual experience, one that we do not ever repeat for other families and one we can learn from and perhaps improve facilities that we provide for our parents.